Pinterest is the bane of my pantry. Every time I see a recipe “I have to try,” my pantry groans as I shove yet another ingredient in there. The second bane of my pantry? MasterChef. Since the Olympics is preempting my favorite broadcast, my pantry is getting half a respite. Sometimes I wish the Olympics would preempt Pinterest as well…
Some recipes on Pinterest are beyond brilliant and I feel like a kitchen master. Other times I can’t figure out what went wrong. Usually, what goes wrong is me trying to make a recipe “healthier.” Let’s be honest people, God made real butter and sugar for a reason and only in some cases can light butter and Stevia give the same result. Same goes for baked donuts (a.k.a. doughnuts). I con’t care how you sprinkle it, a baked donut is simply sweet bread masquerading as something sexier. Either that or it’s a muffin with a hole.
So after not so great results with S’mores cookies and baked donuts, I saw this recipe on the back of my mallow bits box. Since it’s too hot for hot cocoa, why not make cookies with it instead? And now that they’re cool, I think they are asking me to turn them into ice cream sandwiches…
Hot Cocoa Cookies
*I halved this recipe and switched out half the flour for whole wheat flour. I also used raspberry cocoa which made for a nice variation in flavor
- 1 1/4 cup room temperature butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 4 packages instant cocoa (don’t use sugar free)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mallow bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and stir until combined
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, hot cocoa mix, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in flour mixture to butter mixture until well combined.
- Fold in mallow bits and chocolate chips.
- Drop by 1 1/2 tablespoon rounds onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 – 11 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks and cool.