We have been on a Jake and the Neverland Pirates binge watching adventure and I’m finding myself saying “Yo ho, let’s go” with way too much ease. To take a break from the precocious little pirate adventures I’m seeking refuge in the kitchen complete with my own gold doubloons (a.k.a. Lemon Ricotta Cookies, recipe here) and a spot of tea.
We all have our obsessions in the house and my obsession as of late has been squash. Sweet yellow squash with a dusting of fennel and spices, roasted, or zucchini pasta, casseroles and more have been on my mind. That’s why I thought this would be a perfect time to try making zucchini fritters, recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, grated and squeezed to get rid of as much water as humanly possible.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp round black pepper
- coconut oil spray
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, flour, Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and egg; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- If, as the batter sits, you find water floating to the top of your mix, simply empty it out. Sometimes the zucchini will “leak,” and it won’t affect your product. Just toss the extra liquids.
- Spray a large skillet with coconut oil and heat to medium high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche.